board OF directors
Welcome to another school year! This is my first time since 2002 that I will not have a student in the school, and I am already experiencing withdrawal, while I am excited for the new challenges my youngest will experience in high school.
Every school year brings both excitement -- how will the year go? Who is new on the staff? What is new at the school? -- and trepidation for families and students -- where did the summer go? Will I like my new teacher? Will I do better in math this year?
I thank you for making the choice to support Catholic education and St. Ann School. I thank you for seeing the light of our community and the overall goodness of the Catholic Church through the darkness presented in the media as well as the very real evil that has occurred. I thank you for continuing as a member of this wonderful community we have. Every time I go to Fall Fest, participate in walkathon, call numbers at Bag Bingo, or hear the voices of the children raised in song at the annual Christmas show, my faith in our mission and our community is bolstered. Each of you is a part of making this community what it is.
I am thankful that you have chosen to focus on the good in the Catholic church, our parish, our school, and our community, demonstrated in the strong, Christian, supportive, nurturing leadership of our principal, our teachers, and, mostly importantly, the two priests we are blessed to have guiding us, Msgr. Coyle and Father Dominic Pham. Please continue to pray for them and for all the members of our community. We all need prayers for strength, for healing, and for those intentions we wish to keep in the privacy of our minds and hearts.
In this age where the media promotes the sensationalism and bad press, I urge you to focus on the good and to be a part of our positive message. Do not give in to the culture of incivility, rudeness, and bullying which reigns in American society today. Be a part of the push for change. Model for your children -- the students in our midst -- the 6 pillars of civility:
· empathy, which is the capacity to understand and share another person's experiences and emotions;
· attunement, going beyond momentary empathy to a sustain presence that promotes rapport, especially with those who are different from you;
· social intelligence, the ability to read emotions and get along with others, an important part in forming community;
· self control, the ability to control one's own emotions, behaviors and desires in order to function as a community or society;
· gratitude, which should require no definition, but is so easily overlooked; don't forget the opportunities for "thank you" and simple kindness; and
· altruism, sacrificing something for someone else with no expectations of compensation or benefit in return.
By practicing these qualities, we avoid falling into incivility, which can destroy relationships and a community. We make our community stronger. We become more Christ-like and teach our children to behave as such, which can lead to a better future for them and us.
We have so much to be thankful for, to celebrate, and to look forward to:
· the gifts of our pastor and assistant pastor, and our unofficial mascot, Anthony
· the steadfast leadership of our principal and teachers
· the renovations of our facilities, which are ongoing, thanks to the board and the parish
· the joyful community of St. Ann Parish
· the leadership of our Board of Directors and our Home & School Association
· the gifts of time, treasures, and talents from our parents and many volunteers for the activities and fundraising events we hold all year long
· the receipt of a grant from the Stabler Foundation which allowed us to purchase a lot of new technology this year
· the gift of the TV studio last year, which allows WSAS to broadcast daily
· the gifts of every child who is a member of this community, in the individuality that they bring to our collective community and your presence with us.
I hope that you had a restful, happy, healthy summer, and wish you all the best for an outstanding school year.
May God continue to bless you and your family, every day.
Current Board of Directors
Msgr. Edward Coyle
Mrs. Diana Kile
Mr. Jeff Boardman Enrollment Committee John Yurconic Agency Business Lines Manager
Mr. Derek Demchak Facility Chair Pharma Sector-Program Management Lead Arcadis
Mrs. Carrie Gradin
Development Committee Moravian College
Assistant Director of Major Gifts
Mrs. Catherine Durso, Esq.
Board Secretary Facility Committee
Shareholder, Fitzpatrick Lentz & Bubba
Dr. Fred Kimock Facility Committee President, Four Circle Inc
Mr. Jack Loeper Technology Chair Secondary School Instructional Coach Lehigh Career & Technical Institute
Mr. Jared Markowitz Board Treasurer & Finance Chair Retired, Global Process Manager Air Products & Chemicals
Mr. Joe Montesano Board Vice Chair Development Committee CFO, Beck Packaging
Mrs. Cyndi O’Hara Facility Committee Retired, East Penn School District Instructional Assistant Teacher
Mr. James Ritter, Esq.
Development Committee Partner, Gross McGinely LLP Attorneys at Law
Dr. Christopher Sacchi
Enrollment Committee Chair of the Biology Department Kutztown University
Dr. Carol Traupman-Carr
Board Chair & Enrollment/Marketing Chair
Associate Provost; Professor of Music
Mr. Vincent Tranguch
Code Enforcment Officer
Lower Macungie Township
Dr. Patricia Waller Enrollment Committee Retired, East Penn School District Teacher
Mr. Frank Wiseley Development Chair Sr. Sales Executive Kroff, Inc